HOW TO HIDE MORE VEGGIES IN YOUR MEALS
For some, the idea of having 70% of their plate being veggies is just a little overwhelming, so we have compiled 5 ways to stuff more veggies into your meals without you even knowing! Veggies are important for you to have and over 93% of Australian’s over the age of 18 are not having the recommended 5 serves of vegetables a day. While only 6% of children are getting enough. (ABS) Veggies contain great antioxidants, vitamins and minerals that have powerful healing properties and are low in sugar or starch and nourish our bodies in more ways than one.
- In mince dishes, great up your leftover broccoli stalks, carrot and zucchini. While all these veggies will taste amazing in your meal, the meal will double in size, help you reach that recommended intake of vegetables and you can be using those scrappy leftovers in the back of the fridge! Hallelujah!
- Add spinach to everything! The rich iron and chlorophyll content of spinach helps build blood – how cool is that?! We love it in stir fries, tonnes in our salads, with eggs and avo, in smoothies, and even in spaghetti bolognese!
- Add more fats to your meals. If you are feeling hungry pretty soon after you have eaten, then you might not be adding enough healthy fats to your meals. And we are talking about extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil, activated nuts/seeds, avocado or animal fats like butter, ghee or the straight animal fat (as long as it is organic/grass fed). Fats activate the hormone leptin, telling your brain that you are full and they act as an appetite suppressant. Don’t be afraid of these types of fats!
- Add cauliflower/broccoli rice to scrambled eggs! These are part of the brassica family of vegetables and they contain a group of compounds which have anti-cancer and antioxidant properties. Additionally, they mildly stimulate the liver out of stagnancy. LOAD IT UP PEOPLE!
- Add a handful of peas. Let’s be honest, everything tastes better with a handful of frozen peas. They are full of fibre and add just a touch of sweetness and colour to every dish making it even more inviting.
With so many ways to add veggies into your meals, you’ll soon be a veggie queen or king like the Mingle fam!