HEALTHY HOT CROSS BUNS
Whilst the store bought hot x buns might be packed full of sugar and toxic for our bodies, it doesn’t mean you have to miss out all together! After all, there’s really just somethin’ about a warm hot crossed bun loaded with organic grass fed butter and homemade chia jam
Please note that these are denser because they don’t contain sugar to make them fluffy – however they aren’t dense on your tummy!
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup rice malt syrup
- 6 eggs
- 250 g coconut oil or butter
- 1/2 cup cacao bins
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 cup Stella
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 1 cup berries of choice
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup (optional)
- 2 tbsp water
What you need:
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a muffin tin with large muffin cases
- In a large bowl mix the almond meal, coconut flour, nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, Stella and orange zest in a bowl
- Melt the coconut oil/butter and the rice malt syrup together. Let it cool slightly so it doesn’t cook the eggs
- Add the eggs to the flour mixture and mix well. Add the coconut oil mixture into the batter and mix to combine. Add the cacao nibs and mix until well combined. The mixture should be doughy. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle with extra Stella.
- To make the crosses, place the flours in a small bowl and gradually add 1 teaspoon of water until a thick white paste forms. Put the paste into a piping bag (or snap-lock bag and cut the corner) and pipe a cross on top of each bun.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve without the muffin cases with butter and chia jam (recipe in next step)
- Throw all the ingredients into a small sauce pan and use a stick blender to combine. Heat over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble.CHIA JAM: Reduce the heat and whisk constantly until thickened (3-5 mins).